Recommended Vaccines and Medications

While each person’s body has different needs, we recommend the following vaccines and medications as a precaution when traveling to foreign countries. These recommendations are meant to prepare you so you can make intelligent choices regarding your body, not to scare you as they are just suggestions based on the Center for Disease Control and my own personal experience. Please consult with your own doctor regarding these suggested medications.

  • Six pills of Ciprofloxin 500mg (or the equivalent if you are allergic to Cipro) to be taken twice a day for three days for severe diarrhea that lasts more than a couple of days or for food poisoning
  • Pepto Bismol for mild stomach problems or diarrhea
  • Imodium for moderate diarrhea problems
  • Aspirin, Tylenol or Motrin for aches, pains, headaches, etc.
  • Rolaids, Tums or any antacid of choice
  • Benadryl for allergic reactions, bug bites or lack of sleep
  • One set of ten days of Amoxicillin (or the equivalent if you are allergic to penicillin) for sinus infections, bronchitis or pneumonia
  • A tube of Bacitracin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment for cuts and a tube of Hydracortisone crème for itchy critter bites and rashes
  • Have you had your Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine?
  • Measles Vaccine: ask your doctor if you need a second dose
  • Tetanus shot
  • Polio Vaccine
  • Hepatitis B: This consists of three injections given over 6 months. All people regardless of whether they travel or not should consider this set of injections. Hepatitis B is passed through sexual relations and/or blood exchange. A person can be a carrier of this disease without you ever knowing it.
  • Hepatitis A: It is recommended by the Center for Disease Control that all travelers have this vaccine. It consists of two injections given 6 months apart. You can catch Hepatitis A just from drinking a glass of water and pass it to an entire group of people from sharing water bottles, etc.
  • An Epi-pen is you are susceptible to severe allergic attacks.

Please consult your travel physician (not your regular doctor) regarding the current Center for Disease Control recommendations.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This